Saturday, May 29, 2010

My name is Candace and I am a 24 year old wife and mother of three. I have lived on my own since I was 16 and over the years my education has taken a backseat to the struggles that accompany being first a homeless teen and then a young parent. Still, I am fortunate to have had many blessings mixed in with the hardships. My family and I are together through everything, and I have been blessed with a passion for learning that helped me to homeschool myself through my last two years of high school and make a perfect score in Reading as well as a 98/99 in Writing on my college placement exams.

I have enrolled and registered at Portland Community College, where I plan on getting my AA degree. From there it is my goal to attend Lewis and Clark College and get my BA in Political Science, after which it is my intention to go to Willamette Law School in Salem. The law is my passion, and as an attorney I feel I would be in a place where I could not only take care of my family in a way I have never been able to, but that I will also be able to make an important contribution to my community by helping other mothers like myself attain their educational goals.

I am fortunate enough to qualify for Pell Grants and Stafford loans which will fund my schooling-however, like so many others in my position, the path to my education is blocked by the need for a second income. Recently a second source of income has become even more important as my husband's hours have been continually cut and my work as an independent contractor has slowed to a near standstill due to the economy.

It is my great hope that with the help of generous donors like yourself I will be able to get a degree and make a substantial contribution to my family and my community.

Thank you for taking the time to consider making an investment in my education.







Thank you!